But why limit this to only management? Gemba walks can be extended to all levels in the hierarchy!
In this blog entry you find the commands of a true gemba walker.
- Invite your direct manager for a visit.
- Invite your customer for a visit.
- Go see you peers.
- Go outside the borders of your own department, or even entity.
- Visit your customer and learn from their experience.
- Learn from the good, but also the bad things you come across.
- There is no silver bullet. Try to understand why colleagues are working that way.
- Do not give orders, but coach and challenge.
- If applicable, take something home with you to escalate or help with.
- Never stop gemba walking.
When following these commandments, we would like to welcome you to the community of true gemba walkers.
Spread the message.